Although repairing a clothes dryer may seem like a relatively simple task, the truth is that clothes dryers are far more dangerous than they look. Every year throughout the country, people who try to repair dryers without the proper training and education wind up seriously injured, or even dead. The high amount of voltage required by dryers is more than enough to kill a human, which is why it is so important to leave all dryer repairs in the hands of a professional.
Properly maintaining your dryer is the best way to ensure that it keeps running smoothly. Failing to follow proper care and use procedures with your dryer can not only cause unnecessary wear and tear, but can also increase your monthly power bills. Fortunately, reducing the risk of damage or fire is simple if you follow a few basic procedures. Don’t forget to ask about our annual maintenance program, as well. It’s a smart and simple way to keep your dryer in tip-top shape.
Here are the top 8 ways to keep your clothes dryer in good working order and reduce the need for costly repairs.
- Keeping the dryer level can help keep it from bouncing around, which in turn can reduce wear and tear. Ensure that all four feet are firmly planted on the ground and that the machine doesn’t rock back and forth during use. Additionally, make sure that the dryer is not located near other devices that produce heat to reduce the risk of fire.
- Proper grounding is essential to avoid damaging the dryer’s compressor. Make sure that the outlet you plan to plug the dryer into is properly grounded. Avoid using an extension cord if at all possible. If you absolutely cannot get by without one, make sure you use a cord that is specifically designed to handle the high current load required by the dryer.
- Don’t allow lint to build up inside the lint trap. Too much lint can restrict airflow, which can cause the dryer to overheat. Empty the lint trap every time you use the dryer. You should also periodically clean the back section of the dryer where lint tends to accumulate.
- Properly vent your dryer to ensure that it has adequate airflow. This means running the vent outside, and cleaning it annually to remove any potential blockages. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, dryers are the leading cause of fires within the home!
- Avoid placing heat-sensitive products in the dryer. This includes rugs or shoes with rubber or plastic backing, as well as clothing that has been contaminated with flammable materials such as gasoline. Before placing clothing in the dryer, always check the pockets for products such as crayons that could melt and cause a mess.
- Stick with small loads to avoid overloading the dryer and burning out the motor.
- Keep the outside of your dryer looking like new by cleaning up spills as soon as they happen. Stick with mild cleaners such as dish soap or baking soda to minimize the risk of damaging the dryer’s finish.
- Make sure you read and follow the operating instructions provided by the manufacturer.
These simple suggestions will help you keep your dryer looking great, along with minimizing the need for expensive repairs. However, even with the best of care, dryers occasionally break down. If you find yourself in need of fast, reliable service, Top Notch Appliance Repair & Service is qualified to work on most major brands of dryers. This includes GE, Whirlpool, Amana, Kenmore, Maytag, Fisher Paykel and Jenn-Air. Some of the issues we can help you with include inadequate heating, bumping, knocking or other loud noises, impaired spinning or irregular cycles.
Our highly qualified technicians are just a phone call away at (770) 479-8422. You can also reach us by email by using our online Contact Page. Our experts proudly serve communities across North Georgia including Woodstock, Acworth, Marietta, Kennesaw, Roswell, Ballground and Canton. Whenever you find yourself in need of dryer repair, our trained technicians are ready and waiting to help.